Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Life Lessons


The first time I saw Art Gearing was about 6-1/2 years ago. I was doing leg presses, looked up, and saw someone entering the gym on skates. I was a new member and Art was a regular. He knew everybody and you could tell everybody liked him. Born in Canada, he is an avid hockey fan and a player. I think it’s genetic.

Art is a couple of years older than I am. He’s had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, and his wife, Gerry, passed away last year, after 50 years of marriage. Not an easy time, but Art is tough. And he is close to his two sons, Vince and Dan, and the grandkids.

We used to see each other a lot at the gym. For a long time, he was in our kickboxing class. Now, Patty and I workout earlier the afternoon and we don’t see him as much. Yesterday, though, he came in as we were finishing up. He’s in top shape, still pumping iron, still playing baseball, loving golf, and always has a big smile.

Living life to the fullest usually is a choice people make. Art is a good example of how it should be done.

No comments: