Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Beware: "Natural" Doesn't Necessarily Mean Safe

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has little authority to regulate many supplements -- and the fact is that not all supplements are safe. Here is a report about two men developing advanced prostate cancer after taking "herbal" supplements.

Gray Iron advice is this: Do not take supplements of any kind without first knowing that they are safe. And a product labeled "natural" does not necessarily mean that it is safe. Above all, do not believe advertising on web sites that promise the fountain of youth. So-called "hormone therapy" can be a dangerous thing and should be considered only under the guidance and care of a good medical doctor.

Read full story here: "Natural" supplements caused cancer in 2 men.

1 comment:

Robin Plan said...

This is a great post. I do market a Whole Food Multi. I never make promises about what it will do for anyone. Every body is different so no one knows how each body will benefit. I do know the supplement from my company is whole food with spice, enzymes, probioics, and herbs. No added sugar, sweeteners, starch, gluten, artifical color, flavoring or preservatives. It is for adults so we state on the box it is for people over 14 years old. I give it to my 9 year old at half the dose but I do not promote for use with kids. We have nothing to hide and market it without hype or promises.
My question would be How would people know a supplement is safe? Asking a doctor isn't always the answer. My son's doctor didn't even know what Whole Food supplements were. He does now after I gave him info.
It's sad to realize many makers of vitamins and supplements do not have our health first on their priorities. It's sad to think profits are their #1 concern. Just my feelings.
Robin