Sunday, March 05, 2006

Scientific Tests Say These Supplements Don't Work

Two popular supplements have taken hits in the news. The first was Echinacea, which many people believe stops the common cold from developing. Recent tests hailed as scientific found no evidence that taking the herb does any good at all.

Next, the news came out that when put through scientific tests, the popular combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin did not do much for arthritis relief or other joint aches and pains.

Personally, I was never enthusiastic about Echinacea, anyway; but for several years, I’ve taken a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement. I started taking it because of a nagging shoulder pain, and gradually the pain went away. I’m still taking it today.

Logic tells me it is possible my shoulder may have been getting better anyway, and relief happened to coincide with my taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin. Such coincidences are not unusual. On the other hand, maybe it really worked.

There will be further studies and eventually we’ll know if Glucosamine/Chondroitin has real value or not. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to take it, until I’m convinced that my result was coincidental.

Sometimes tests are flawed and/or one test seems to contradict another. But in time the truth usually comes out. On the other side of the coin, there are thousands of scam artists out there making millions selling questionable "cures" to a gullible public. Anyone who needs convincing only has to consider all the diet pills being sold.

No comments: