Friday, August 18, 2006

A Perfect Way to Start Your Day

Karen Giles stopped in yesterday morning. Karen is the Pilates instructor at the gym where we workout. She and Patty have common interests in knitting and fitness and like to compare notes. Karen is middle-aged and of course in great shape, a beautiful woman.

It was early and I asked her if she'd like to try the breakfast shake that Patty and I begin our mornings with. I'm not the greatest chef in the world, but I have great confidence in my breakfast shake. Karen loved it and asked for the recipe.

That makes it unanimous. I have prepared it for quite a few friends now, and every one of them has asked how it's made. Now several of them tell me they start their mornings the same way that Patty and I do.

Want to it try it? Here is how it's made. I think you'll find it delicious and, believe me, it is absolutely loaded with nutrients your body is screaming for.

Breakfast Shake Ingredients for One Person

Put in a blender:

  • 1-1/2 tablespoons of Ground Flax Seeds (Use a coffee grinder. Be sure to clean the blades afterward because the oil residue will become rancid.)
  • 1 – Measuring scoop (20 grams) of whey protein powder. Get the kind that is almost 100% protein. Unflavored is best because the berries will provide the flavor. We like the Bio Chem brand.
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of unflavored, nonfat yogurt – the kind with friendly bacteria. Nancy’s brand is excellent.
  • 1 – cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries (I mix strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.) Get the kind without any sweeteners added.
  • 1-1/4 cups of soy milk, unflavored, no additives.

Blend and enjoy.

Approximate calories: 395

The quantities of ingredients can tweaked upward to increase calories, if that is desired (for young bodybuilders, for example). But most people like it about the way I've explained. Once in a while, I’ll leave out one of the berry varieties and instead add some kind of fruit. But most of the time, I stay with the berry mixture alone. Berries are loaded with antioxidants and you can’t beat their flavor.

No comments: